Every once in awhile, I’ll post a marketing truth on my personal Facebook page. One of these truths inspired a reader and they suggested I come up with my own Ten Commandments of Marketing. I thought it was a brilliant idea!
So here’s my list of marketing truths.
Truths that I’ve come to learn from helping clients market their business and my own.
- To thine own target audience be true. Enough said.
- Campaigns are not done until they’ve been tested. A/B testing is critical for any campaign whether it be an email campaign or advertising campaign. You need to know which version connects or resonates with your audience and then choose that version.
- Use social media wisely. There are lots of examples of how not to do it. Make sure your business is counted among them that do social media right.
- Combine solid data, great images and storytelling for best results.
- Plan, set goals and be prepared for when stuff happens. I promise stuff happens. People get sick, they forget due dates. Flights get canceled. Things get lost in the mail. The Internet goes down. Somebody rams their car into your building knocking out the power. Trust me. Stuff happens.
- E-mail subject lines matter. – This determines whether your email even gets opened and that’s if it even lands in their inbox.
- Great content is king – Consistency is queen.
- Say yes to engagement and no to content dumping.
- Never forget your target audience. This bears repeating. It’s easy to get caught up in our own hype we forget it’s all about our target audience.
- Good marketing produces measurable results.
Infographic produced by PrettyWork Creative.